Home -- Resources

Social Security Administration :


Social Security should be notified as soon as possible when a person dies. In most cases, the funeral director will report the person's death to Social Security. You will need to furnish the funeral director with the deceased's Social Security number so he or she can make the report.

Some of the deceased's family members may be able to receive Social Security benefits if the deceased person worked long enough under Social Security to qualify for benefits. You should get in touch with Social Security as soon as you can to make sure the family receives all of the benefits to which it may be entitled. Please read the following information carefully to learn what benefits may be available.
  • A one-time payment of $255 can be paid to the surviving spouse if he or she was living with the deceased; or, if living apart, was receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceased's record.. If there is no surviving spouse, the payment is made to a child who is eligible for benefits on the deceased's record in the month of death.
  • Certain family members may be eligible to receive monthly benefits, including:
    • A widow or widower age 60 or older (age 50 or older if disabled)
    • A surviving spouse at any age who is caring for the deceased's child under age 16 or disabled
    • An unmarried child of the deceased who is:
      • Younger than age 18 (or age 18 or 19 if he or she is a full-time student in an elementary or secondary school); or
      • Age 18 or older with a disability that began before age 22;
    • Parents, age 62 or older, who were dependent on the deceased for at least half of their support; and
    • A surviving divorced spouse, under certain circumstances.
If the deceased was receiving Social Security benefits, you must return the benefit received for the month of death or any later months. For example, if the person dies in July, you must return the benefit paid in August. If benefits were paid by direct deposit, contact the bank or other financial institution.. Request that any funds received for the month of death or later be returned to Social Security. If the benefits were paid by check, do not cash any checks received for the month in which the person dies or later. Return the checks to Social Security as soon as possible.

However, eligible family members may be able to receive death benefits for the month in which the beneficiary died.

Contacting Social Security :

Our website is a valuable resource for information about all of Social Security's programs. There are a number of things you can do online.

In addition to using our website, you can call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. We can answer specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. We can provide information by automated phone service 24 hours a day. (You can use our automated response system to tell us a new address or request a replacement Medicare card.) If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778.

We treat all calls confidentially. We also want to make sure you receive accurate and courteous service. That is why we have a second Social Security representative monitor some telephone calls.

Vital Statistics Information :


In Florida, anyone may order a Florida Death Certificate "Without cause of death".

A Florida Death Certificate "With Cause of Death" is confidential by Florida Law and may only be issued as follows:
  • To the decedent's spouse, parent, child, grandchild, or sibling (if 18 years of age or older).
  • To any person who provides a "Will" that has been executed pursuant to state statute 732.502; an insurance policy or other document that demonstrates his or her interest in the estate of the decedent;
  • Or to any person who provides documentation that he or she is acting on behalf of any of the previously mentioned persons.
  • Fifty (50) years following the date of death, "Cause of death" becomes public information and anyone may obtain a Death Certificate with this information. Any time period prior to the fifty years, "cause of death" is considered confidential by Florida law.
  • Requesting cause of death information

A.L.S. Association
21021 Ventura Blvd., Suite 321
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
(800) 782-4747
March of Dimes Birth
Defects Association
1275 Marnaroneck Ave.
White Plains, NY 10605
(800) 453-3816
Alzheimer's Association
919 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 1000
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 335-8700
Mothers Against Drunk Driving
Victim Assistance Program
511 E John Carpenter Freeway
Suite 700
Irving, TX 75062
(800) GET-MADD
American Association of Retired Persons
Grief/Loss Programs
601 E. St.
Washington, DC 20049
(202) 434-2260
(For widowed and bereaved adults.)
Muscular Dystrophy Association
3300 E. Sunrise Dr.
Tucson, AZ 85718
(520) 529-2000
American Association of Suicidology
4201 Connecticut Ave., NW
Suite 310
Washington, DC 20049
National AIDS Fund
1400 "I" St., NW, Suite 1220
Washington, DC 20005-2208
(202) 408-4848
American Cancer Society
1599 Clifton Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
(800) ACS-2345
National Catholic Ministry
To the Bereaved
606 Middle Ave.
Elyria, OH 44035
(216) 323-6262
American Foundation for AIDS
733 3rd Ave., 12th Floor
New York, NY 10017
(212) 682-7440 ext. 210
National Donor Family Council
C/o National Kidney Foundation
30 East 33rd St.
New York, NY 10016
(800) 622-9010
(212) 889-2210
(For Families of those who died and became Organ and/or tissue donors.)
American Heart Association
7320 Greenville Ave.
Dallas, TX 75231
(800) 527-6941
National Hospice Organization
1901 N. Moore St., Suite 901
Arlington, VA 22209
(703) 243-5900
(800) 658-8898
American Hospice Foundation
1130 Connecticut, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
(202) 223-0204
Parents of Murdered Children Inc.
100 E. Eighth St., B41Cincinnati, OH 45202
(513) 721-5683
(888) 818-POMC
American Kidney Fund
6110 Executive Blvd., Suite 1010
Rockville, MD 20852
(800) 638-8299
Pen-Parents Inc.
PO Box 8738
Reno, NV 89507
(702) 826-7332
(Support network designed for grieving parentsand grandparents providing a pen-pal type service.)
American Liver Foundation
1425 Pomptom Ave.
Cedar Grove, NJ 07009-1000
(800) 233-0179
Pregnancy and Infant Loss Center
1421 E Wayzata Blvd., Suite 30Wyzata, MN 55391
(612) 473-9372
(Provides support, resources and educationOn miscarriage, still birth and infant death.)
American Lung Association
1740 Broadway
New York, NY 10019
(800) LUNG-USA
Ray of Hope
PO Box 2323
Iowa City, IA 52244
(319) 337-9890
(For survivors of those who died from suicide.)
American SIDS Institute
2480 Windy Hill Rd. Suite 380
Marietta, GA 30067
(800) 232-SIDS
Salvation Army National
615 Slaters Ln.
PO Box 269
Alexandria, VA 22313
(703) 684-5500
Association for Death Education and Counseling
342 Main St.
West Hartford, CT 06117-2507
(860) 586-7503
SHARE Pregnancy & Infant Loss
Support Inc.
St. Joseph's Health Center
300 1st Capitol Dr.
St. Charles, MO 63001
(800) 821-6891
(314) 947-6164
(For families who have experienced the death
of a baby due to miscarriage, stillbirth, or neonatal death.)
Bereavement Services/RTS
Gunderson Lutheran Medical Center
1910 South Ave.
La Crosse, WI 54601
(608) 791-4747 or
(800) 362-9567 Ext. 4747
SIDS Alliance
1314 Bedford Ave., Suite 210
Baltimore, MD 21208
(800) 221-7437
(410) 653-8226
Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation
7910 Woodmont Ave.
Suite 460
Bethesda, MD 20814
(800) 366-2223
(301) 657-8401
Society of Military Widows
5535 Hempstead Way
Springfield, VA 22151
(703) 750-1342
Center for Loss in Multiple Birth
(CLIMB) Inc.
P.O. Box 1064
Palmer, AK 99645
(907) 746-6123
(907) 274-7029
TBI/Tissue Banks International
815 Parks Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21201
(800) 756-4824
The Compassionate Friends
PO Box 3696
Oak Brook, IL 60522-3696
(630) 990-1010
(Supports families who have experienced the death of a child)
Tragedy Assistance Program for
Survivors Inc. (TAPS)
PO Box 242032
Anchorage, AK 99524
(907) 272-TAPS
(800) 959-TAPS
Concerns of Police Survivors
PO Box 3199
Camdenton, MO 65020
(314) 346-4911
United Cerebral Palsy
1660 L St. NW
Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
(202) 776-04006
(800) US
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
6931 Arlington Road
Bethesda, MD 20014
(800) 344-4823
In Loving Memory
1416 Green Run Lane
Reston, VA 20190
(703) 435-0608
(Dedicated to helping parents cope with the loss of their only child or all of their children.)
International THEOS Foundation
322 Blvd. of the Allies
Suite 105
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-3510
(412) 471-7770
(international widows and widowers group)
Leukemia Society of America
2900 Eisenhower Ave., Suite 419
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 960-1100
The Living Bank
Organ and Tissue Donation
Box 6725
Houston, TX 77265
(800) 528-2971
Make-A-Wish Foundation
Of America
100 Charendon Ave., Suite 2200
Phoenix, AZ 85013
(602) 279-9474
Burial, either entombment or earth interment, is special for many reasons including that for generations, perhaps, your family has been choosing this form of tribute for themselves or their dear loved ones. Now, you make that same decision.

>> Know more
Current Services